Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Oak

This is my (somewhat sentimental) poem that appeared on my personal blog a while back. It uses the same pattern as Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost--whatever that rhythm is called. At any rate, here it is. Hope it isn't too sappy.


An Oak once stood alone up here,
Upon this hill where we now stand.
Its roots were deep; its bows were long,
And cracks ran up and down its skin.

I used to sit below the bows;
The leaves would whisper happiness,
And as the night began to come,
Its bows would look like spider webs
Cut out against the fading sky.
And I would smile and fall asleep.

And then one day a great storm came
And blew the tree until it fell,
And as it fell I dreamed it said
“Do not fear nor grieve for me
For whence I came I’ll come again,
Another tree will stand up here.”

Now look down near your foot and see,
The young oak tree begins to grow.
And long from now the oak will stand
 And you will sleep under its limbs.

4 comments:

  1. That's iambic tetrameter! And, no, I would not have known that except that I am being vigorously tested on that topic right now. :P LOL
    I don't think it's too sappy. It's got a deep--well--"rootiness" about it. Meaty, maybe? I can't think of the word. Anyway, it's not sentimental and sappy because this poem certainly doesn't portray emotion for emotion's sake. :D
    Great job, chap! I only noticed a technical thing. Unless you meant bows for another reason, I think it's spelled "boughs." ;D

    *****!

    --Dalu--

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, as always, Dalu, for your comments! Ah yes, that's what it is! I had forgotten. Iambic tetrameter. Good, I'm glad it's not sappy to you ;) Ah yes, I meant to write "boughs". Thanks for pointing that out.

    Thanks again for the comments!

    --J.D.H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I never commented on this!
    Anyway, just wanted to say that I really like this poem! I read it in the past, of course, but at that point I'm not sure I had ever wrote a single poem or read any exactly. :P Needless to say, I'm able to understand what you're saying finally, (I have no idea how I didn't previously), and it makes me see that it's a lot more interesting and artist than I originally thought. (For the record, I liked it back then too, lol.)

    -- Coyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.s.: hope to see more soon! :D

    ReplyDelete